Today I had the good fortune of speaking with a new designer/photographer/videographer that I will be collaborating on a website with. I mean “new” in that this will be the first time I have worked with them. They introduced me to slideshowpro, and we want to create a wordpress website that embeds slideshowpro photo and video slide shows.
I am always fired up when I learn about a new tool, and slideshowpro is really exciting. I immediately purchased it so that I could play with it.
I purchased the slideshowpro for flash ($39), and the CMS slideshowpro director ($39). My server will work with slideshowpro director, if any of my clients are interested, however, if you are going to be making tons of video slide shows, I recommend the slideshowpro hosting for the CMS, because you won’t have to worry about bandwidth, and it is really reasonable.
- Step one in getting slideshowpro up and running on my wordpress blog was to install the director on my website server. This was pretty straight forward. You ftp the files to the server, and then browse to them. The installation process through the web browser walks you through any permissions that you need to update. It will prompt you to manually create a .xml file called crossdomain.xml, it will tell you exactly what to copy and paste into that file, and upload that to your root directory, which I did with bbedit.
- Step two was to create an album in the director and upload photos to it. I uploaded pictures from a walk I took on a landbank trail in Chilmark, just two days ago. I then copied the path generated to that albums .xml file to paste into the flash file parameters.
- Step three was to install the slideshowpro extension into my flash cs3 and then create a new flash file.
- Step four was to plug in the path to the album’s .xml file generated by the album, and also to choose that the .xml file is a director generated file, publish the .swf file and ftp it to my server.
- Step five was to install the plug-in Kimili flash embed tag generator into my wordpress blog, and click on its icon to add the new .swf files path, size etc. I made sure to add the base=”.” parameter to the embed tag. I found the instructions here.
- The results of my efforts are at the top of the page.
I am pretty excited to learn more about the slideshowpro customization and parameters.