Ever wonder why images or photographs sometimes appear next to people’s comments on blogs? Those images are called avatars, and it is really easy to create an avatar image for yourself. You, too, can have a photograph or icon that will follow your comments around the internet.
Why would you want to do that? For branding, and to call attention to your comments. You don’t need to use a portrait. You could use your logo, for example.
Below, I am going to walk you through, step by step, how to create your custom avatar image using gravatar.com.
- The first thing to do is to have an image on your computer that you want to use. I used a photograph taken of me by Lynn Christoffers – a Martha’s Vineyard Photographer.It doesn’t have to be square. Gravatar will let you crop it once you upload it.
- Step two: Go to http://www.gravatar.com
- Step 3: Click on the “Sign up now” link. (view image below)
- Step 4: Enter the email address that you want your avatar image associated with. (see image below)
- Step 5: They will send you a confirmation email.
Click on the link in the confirmation email to activate your account. (see images below)
- You will then be directed to a page that will ask you where the image is that you want to upload.
- Choose where it is. Search for the image and upload it.
You will then be able to crop it to be the perfect avatar image.
- When you’re done cropping, you will be asked to rate it based on the image content.
- The final step is to assign the image to your email address. Just check the box next to the email address that you want to associate with the avatar, and click on the “use for selected address” button. Then you’re done. It is that easy.
You can log into gravatar at any time to update your avatar images or add new email addresses.